SIS News Archive
SIS values reading. The elementary school celebrated reading and books the week of March 13 - 17. Due to rain and needing more time we continued celebrating the week of March 20 - 24!
A variety of enjoyable events happened during our celebration:
- Drop Everything and Read
- book crafts and challenges
- Book themed games for Kindergarten to Grade 5 (designed by an after school activity group)
- mystery readers
- buddy reading
- decorating classroom doors (link to the door decorating contest blog post)
- Bringing Books to Life for ECC, Kindergarten and Grade 1 (amazing PSA volunteers had games, crafts, food, dramatizations...etc.)
community members submitted photos of themselves reading in unusual places
- STUCO hosted a book swap for grades 2 - 5 (link to the blog post)
Thank you so much to our supportive community who made our Book Week enjoyable. Our teachers, once again, showed their enthusiasm, organization and flexibility as they added many additional events to their week(s) to make this celebration happen. Thanks to our parents who volunteered their time, creativity, and effort to make our Book Week celebrations extra special with the ECC, Kindergarten and Grade 1 "Bringing Books to Life" booths. Some of our students also showed their leadership by serving others and hosting a book swap while others designed and put together games that were played during the week. Many parent volunteers came to set-up and supervise games, be mystery readers and help out behind the scenes in a variety of ways. Together, we make a difference in the lives or our SIS students by creating a caring environment and emphasizing the love of reading and stories! Thank you.
Here is a link to the library site where you will find assorted photos of our SIS Book Week Fun!
Gaylene Livingston | Teacher Librarian