Dear SIS Community:
This week I am sharing some notes and updates with you about school planning and improvement efforts underway this year. As we continue our efforts at continual improvement at SIS, we are committed to providing high quality teachers, programs, and learning environments to support each of our students in their education.
Best Quality International Curricula and New implementation of IB PYP (Primary Years Program). SIS has established a strong curriculum of high international standards implemented across the school. Next year, we will begin implementation of the IB Primary Years Program and have hired a very experienced PYP Coordinator to lead that process. This program is recognized and used globally and will provide improved coordination and rigor in our elementary classes. Every teacher in our Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 5 programs will be trained in the PYP curriculum and model beginning next year in preparation for implementing this program. Our new elementary principal for next year, Harish Kanabar, is also an experienced world-wide trainer for the IB PYP.
Investing in Quality Teachers. Research repeatedly affirms that the teacher is the most important part of a student's education and our goal is to put the best qualified teachers with each of our students. We seek and hire experienced teachers with proven success and expertise. The market for international teachers is increasingly competitive and SIS maintains a comprehensive, competitive profile in this regard. SIS is an international leader in teacher training and development to ensure that each of our teachers are equipped with the most up to date and effective methods and skills to teach your children. This year we have provided extensive support to our teachers in teaching math, reading and writing, using technology, math instruction, and several other areas.
High Quality Learning environment. SIS has invested in creating state of the art learning environments for our students. Our goal is to provide our students with the best possible environment and tools to support learning. Maintaining quality facilities is a significant challenge in a city where cost of facilities has increased very rapidly over the past few years. To this end, in an on-going process over several years, we have:
- Maintained small class sizes to maximize student/teacher interaction.
- Extensively renovated our various classroom buildings, using state of the art research on quality learning spaces.
- Created the Level 5 learning hub in the Parkside building.
- Implemented a number of improvements in safety and security features for our campuses including closed circuit cameras, better entrance security, new walkways, campus wide emergency communications, upgraded playground equipment, and more.
- Implemented a new student data system to improve school processes, records, and communications.
- Added numerous enhancements to school security, including security cameras, improved entrance and visitor monitoring, external lighting, automatic door security, etc.
- Upgraded our technology infrastructure and security.
Dale Cox, Head of School