SIS News Archive
The messages communicated through the opportunities, interactions and relationships which took place during Book Week were strong and positive. There is no doubt... SIS is a place where learners, teachers and parents value the power of words, the magic of story and the importance of reading in our lives.
Book Week happened March 21 - 25th in the Early Childhood Centre and Elementary School at SIS. Our learners were highly engaged in a variety of diverse experiences which included:
- sharing reading time with our reading buddies,
- celebrating engaging stories through art and craft,
- collaborating on a science challenge based on a favourite story,
- dramatization of story,
- interacting with middle schoolers about reading and writing experiences,
- acting in an improvisation lesson,
- making bookworms 书虫 book marks and a "book" wall,
- playing games and participating in a book themed scavenger hunt, and
- sharing our writing,
- spending time reading, and
- showing our book love by taking part in the SIS booklove selfie challenge.
We were thrilled to host many parents in our classrooms as guest readers and teachers - giving their time to share and model the importance and joy of language in our lives. Another highlight of the week was discovering that some of our favourite book characters were hiding in plain sight at our beautiful Jingshan campus! Yes, Zita the Space girl, Babymouse, Peter Pan and 35 other famous fictional friends joined in the Book Week excitement and we got to meet them all!
Thank you, SIS community. Thank you to our enthusiastic volunteers and all of our teachers who made this a special week. Every day of the school year, we collectively create an environment where learners value the power of words, the magic of story and the importance of reading. Book Week was a chance to celebrate as a community of readers!
- Gaylene Livingston, ES Librarian