The ECC is committed to high quality education and care for pre school children. Our philosophy underpins the curriculum and our approach to teaching and learning.
A review of the philosophy takes place every second year to ensure the philosophy compliments the mission and philosophy of SIS, considers current research, retains early childhood values and reflects the needs of our community.
- Each child is a unique individual who develops at his/her own rate. We therefore, strive to provide culturally, linguistically, and age appropriate experiences that focus on the process of learning, challenge inquiry and exploration and help children experience success.
- Children learn best when they feel emotionally safe and have developed an attachment relationship with teachers and other children. We therefore, make it a priority to create a caring and nurturing environment that enables children to feel a ‘home away from home’ atmosphere in ECC.
- Parents, family and caregivers are the most significant persons in a child’s life. We therefore, strive to work in partnership with families to benefit the child. Our open-door policy encourages daily communication between parents and teachers. Parents and family members are also encouraged to actively participate in our program.
- A secure, safe, healthy, hygienic and developmentally appropriate environment is crucial to a child’s emotional, social, physical, cognitive and creative growth.
- A child’s home language and culture is important and should be respected, valued and shared. At the same time, English is the language of instruction and is crucial in preparing children for formal schooling as they learn to understand, think and express themselves in English.
- Positive guidance techniques and clear consistent boundaries and routines are important. Therefore, we have established age appropriate strategies to help children develop a sense of independence, social competence, confidence and responsibility.
- Our program strength lies in the dedication and commitment of our teaching staff. We therefore, support our staff with training and resources and use a collaborative approach which respects and promotes diversity, professional relationships and respectful interactions.